*St. Peter’s Basilica is open to the public with the following health measures due to the Covid-19 pandmemic. When you arrive in St. Peter’s Square, a sign advises visitors that they must wear a mask and stay 2 meters (6.5 feet) away from others in order to enter the basilica. The Vatican has placed hand-sanitizer dispensers at the end of the colonnade surrounding St. Peter’s Square. From there, you will notice “keep your distance” labels and tape on the cobblestone path leading to the health and security checks before entering the basilica. At the end of the path, two members of the Knights of Malta dressed in white, lightweight hazmat suits point a small thermoscanner at the visitor’s forehead. If the person does not have a fever, he or she can proceed to the line for the metal detectors. After the security check and before entering the church, visitors find another hand-sanitizer dispenser.
St. Peter’s Basilica
Open: Monday – Sunday 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (April to September)
Monday – Sunday 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (October to March)
Guided Tours and Audio Guides
Guided tours and audio guides are available from the Welcome Center, located to the right of St. Peter’s Square facing the Basilica. Alternatively, please call +39.06.69883229 or +39.06.69881898.
Please visit their website for more information.
The Vatican Museums website also offers combined guided tours of the Vatican Museums and the Basilica called the “Art and Faith Itinerary.”
- 8:30 a.m. — Mass in the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament followed by Eucharistic Adoration until 4:45 p.m. which ends with a Benediction
- 9:00a.m., 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m. — Mass at the Altar of Saint Joseph
- 9:00 a.m. Mass for the Parish of St. Peter’s
- 10:30 a.m. Mass at the Altar of the Chair (in Latin)
- 11:30 a.m. Mass in the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament
- 12:15 p.m. Mass at the Altar of the Chair
- 1:00 p.m. Mass at the Altar of St. Joseph
- 4:00 p.m. Mass at the Altar of the Chair
- 5:00 p.m. Vespers at the Altar of the Chair followed by Mass at 5:45 p.m