The “Scavi” refers to the excavations of the necropolis underneath St. Peter’s Basilica, where the tomb of St. Peter is located. Advance reservations are required and may be obtained on the Scavi website. You can also do so by emailing the Scavi office at email@example.com.
In your email, please provide:
- The exact number of participants;
- The name of each participant;
- Your preferred language;
- All possible dates you are available – spell out the month: 01 January 2018;
- Provide an email address for the main contact.
- If your request is granted, you’ll be required to pay by credit card within 10 days. The Scavi office will send a link to pay online.
Clothing should be appropriate for a sacred place: long trousers/slacks/jeans for men; dresses that reach below the knees or long trousers/slacks/jeans for women; shoulders must be covered.
Visitors must be over the age of 15. Please note that this is a very popular site. Group sizes are limited and organized according to languages spoken.
Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closed Sundays and Vatican holidays.
The last tour begins at 3:30 p.m. (4:15 p.m. from April – September). The tour lasts about 1 1/2 hours.
For more information, please visit the official Vatican Scavi website.